Our Mission is simply to love and encourage families. We do this primarily by providing free weekend retreats and hosting community outreach events for families who have children with physical or developmental disabilities.
Our Vision is to create more compassionate communities through families serving families with the love of Christ and led by the Holy Spirit to further the Kingdom of God.
Our Core Values:
We will honor and glorify God with our service.
Our actions will be above reproach.
We will do all things in love.
We will be wise stewards of God’s provisions.
We will strive for excellence.
We will bahe our mission in prayer.
Our foundation is God’s word.
Barren Heights will seek and welcome families who have a child or children with disabilities. Retreats will be hosted by Board Members and other volunteers. The Retreat will accept applications on a first come first served basis.
Guest families will be invited to the retreat at no cost. Focus will be placed on quality family time, recreation, cooperation and the natural setting. Time will be allotted for group activities, individual family activities and worship. Seasonal options may include boating, fishing, archery, tennis and more.
Retreat sessions will be held from May through October. These retreats will run Friday through Sunday.
Barren Heights retreat is nestled atop the gentle rolling hills of Allen County Kentucky, near Barren River Lake. A campsite built just for you.
Comments from our Guest Families
- “This retreat helped our family get centered.”
- “There are so few places we can go as a family with a child in a wheelchair.”
- “This is the best place I’ve ever gone on vacation.” (note: this child has been to Disney more than once)
- “I’m ready to face what lies ahead.”
- “Thank you, we will definitely spread the word.”
- “I think God spends His weekends at Barren Heights.”
- “We would like to come back as a host family.”
- “We never agree on anything and yet we all agree that Barren Heights is awesome.”
- “This was just what we needed.”